This quick guide shows you how to hide or show some or all of the specific desktop icons in Windows 10. This should help you if you have any of the following problems:
- You want to have a tidy desk and therefore hide all icons on the desktop at the same time.
- The desktop icons are gone, so you want to hide and show all the desktop icons.
- You want to show or hide certain icons on the system desktop in Windows 10.
- You only want to hide specific desktop icons that you don’t want other users on the same computer to see.
To hide or show all desktop icons in Windows 10
Here’s how to quickly hide or show all desktop icons in Windows 10 with just a few clicks.
- Go to the desktop screen (possibly press Windows + D to minimize everything).
- Right-click on an empty area of the desktop.
- Move the mouse pointer to Show, and then to Show desktop icons.
- Use the same option to toggle between showing or hiding all desktop icons on the Windows 10 desktop.
If the Show desktop icons check box is selected, it means that Windows is currently displaying all desktop icons. If there is no check mark next to it, it means that all icons on the desktop are currently hidden.
To hide some desktop icons in Windows 10
You can also hide certain icons on the desktop by changing their attributes to Hidden. The selected desktop icon, whether it’s a shortcut, file or folder, will be hidden from everyone, including you. Here’s how:
- Right-click one or more desktop icons (by selecting them) that you want to hide, then select Properties.
- In the Properties window, click on the General tab. Put a check mark next to the attributes in the Hidden box.
- Click OK to make a request. The selected desktop icons should now be hidden.
Hiding the hidden desktop icons in Windows 10
To hide previously hidden desktop icons, you must enable the option to show hidden files and folders in the folder settings and change their attributes so that they are not hidden again. Please follow the steps below.
Go to that PC or file explorer. Then click on View on the toolbar and go to Preferences and then change the folder and search options.
In the Folder Options window, click the View tab. In the advanced settings and under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders and drives. This will reveal all hidden shortcuts, files and folders. But they are still considered hidden because their attributes are always hidden. So they will look a little less opaque.
After hiding files and folders, you can change the attributes of previously hidden desktop icons to unmask them (repeat steps 1 to 3 above) if you want to hide them again.
To prevent Windows from displaying hidden files and folders, return to the Folder Settings section above and select Do not show hidden files, folders, or drives.
Hide or show certain icons on the system desktop
If you use certain icons on the system desktop, such as the Trash, This PC, Network, or Windows 10 Control Panel icons, do the following.
Right-click on an empty space on your desktop and select Customize.
Then select Themes in the left pane, and then click Desktop Icon Settings under Related Settings.
In the Desktop Icon Settings window, you can enable or disable the display or hiding of desktop icons on the system. Press OK when you have made your choice.
Pay attention: When you make settings in this window, the desktop icons are also automatically rearranged and shuffled if you have custom positions for each icon. Therefore, the position must first be fixed with these instructions: To backup and restore the position of desktop icons in Windows 10.
Description to share : Are the icons on the desktop gone? Or do you just want to hide some or all of the icons on your Windows 10 desktop? To show or hide the icons on the desktop.
how to hide specific desktop icons windows 10, how to return to normal desktop in windows 10, how to hide icons on desktop windows 10, hidedesktopicons, windows 10 desktop icons not showing, how to unhide desktop icons windows 10, hide desktop icons windows 10 shortcut, how to hide an icon on desktop