RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
Have you encountered a problem where Word gets an error message when opening a file? Many users report this problem when trying to open a Word file saved as Word 2010, 2013 or Word 2016. This is due to the fact that the third-party software modifies the file during the transfer process. Read our article below to find out how to solve this problem quickly.
Microsoft Word encountered an error when opening a file. This error occurs when third-party software installed on the system modifies the Word documents that are opened.
The following section will help you if your Word file is not responding or cannot be opened in Microsoft Word.
If you get an error message that Word encountered an error when opening a file before proceeding with the solutions, try these workarounds.
Change the Office 2010 settings in the Trust Center.
Message. If you do, any file you download from anywhere can damage your computer. If possible, use the previous method.
- Start Microsoft Word (or Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Click on the File menu
- Choose the options.
- Choose the center of trust.
- Select the Trust Center settings.
- Select a protected view.
- Disable the Enable secure viewing for files from the Internet option.
January 2021 Updated:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. The tool also corrects common computer errors, protects against file loss, malware and hardware failures, and optimizes your PC for optimal performance. With this software you can quickly solve problems on your PC and prevent others from having problems:
- Step 1 : Download the PC repair and optimization utility (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click on the Start scan button to detect problems in the Windows registry that may cause PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click the Fix All button to fix all issues.
Opening a Word file
- Right-click on the document file where the error occurred.
- Choose the properties.
- On the General tab, click the Unlock button when it appears.
- Click OK to close the window.
Adding files to a protected folder
- Open the file explorer by pressing Windows + E.
- Move any document file that Word cannot use to another folder.
- Open the Word application.
- Click on the File tab and select Preferences.
- On the Trustee tab, click Trustee Settings.
- Select the Approved Locations tab that appears immediately below.
- Click Add new location.
- Click on the View button.
- Select the folder to which you moved the Word documents.
- Press OK.
- Check the box to indicate that the subfolders in this location are also trusted.
- Finally, click OK in the Microsoft Office Trusted Location window.
Word file recovery
If none of the above solutions solve the problem, your Word file may be damaged. You should fix the problem before trying to open a damaged Word document in MS Word.
How can I repair damaged Word files?
- Start MS Word and click the File button.
- Click on the Open button, then click on the Browse button and select the damaged Word file.
- Click the small triangle next to the Open button and select Open and Restore.
Wait until the Word utility has repaired the damaged file.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to diagnose Windows errors and optimize system performance.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Convenience Store
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing computer professional. I have years of experience in computer programming, troubleshooting and hardware repair. I specialize in web development and database design. I also have CCNA certification in network design and troubleshooting.
frequently asked questions
How can I correct an error that occurs when I try to open a file in Word?
Resolved: An error occurred in Word when opening a file in … An error occurred when opening a file in …
Why can’t I open Word files?
In most cases, Word documents load without any problems. However, to extract information from a Word document that cannot be opened, follow these steps. … Regardless of whether the documents are connected to the network or not, they cannot be opened due to corruption of the data file itself or loading the file from a corrupted disk.
What can I do if Microsoft Word does not open?
Microsoft Word not responding ? 8 ways to fix it – online technical tips
word experienced an error trying to open the file 2020, dynamics gp word experienced an error trying to open the file, word experienced an error trying to open the file. try these suggestions word 2016, word experienced an error trying to open the file reddit, word experienced an error trying to open the file macos, word experienced an error trying to open the file youtube, open the file with the text recovery converter, word experienced an error trying to open the file great plains